At CEP, we have engineers, scientists, professionals, forensic experts… but above all, we have determination! We believe that the best way to develop your potential while having fun is to not take yourself too seriously. In our team, discipline and sense of humour work hand in hand to create a warm and friendly work environment.
The exceptional skill of each of our employees is what makes us strong. We rely on our multidisciplinary team to promote communication, efficiency and the best of partnerships. And if an expert is missing from our team, we find one!
We are excited to invite Material Forensic Engineers to be part of our awesome team in Edmonton. Read on to find what the position looks like…
About the Role
This is a technically demanding, challenging and most rewarding role requiring not only a thorough understanding of the nature and behaviour of both metallic and non-metallic materials but also a strong engineering knowledge base.
Seeing a technical investigation through from beginning to end from initially collecting the evidence on site to preparing the final technical report and ultimately giving expert evidence in Court if needed.
These investigations will usually be undertaken for insurance related purposes, including international insurers, loss or claim adjusters, solicitors, and insurance brokers.
What will you be doing
- Visit the location of an incident, record and gather evidence. Review technical documentation that may include engineering drawings, relevant standards, regulations, operating manuals and maintenance records.
- As needed, carefully dismantle machinery, equipment or component assemblies in a systematic and non-destructive manner to obtain the evidence.
- Examine and analyse material components and other physical evidence on-site and/ or in a laboratory environment.
- Safely secure evidence for further analysis, and presentation to client and/or in court.
- Gather details regarding the background and circumstances surrounding the incident by taking photographs, videos, and interviewing individuals associated with the incident.
- Conduct investigations to determine the cause of failures in a variety of materials.
- Liaise with and work as part of multi-disciplinary team investigating the technical aspects of insurance or legal related losses.
- Promptly provide preliminary verbal and/or written advice to the clients in a form that can be readily understood by a layperson. Attend client meetings to discuss the investigation outcome.
- Prepare final investigation finding reports that may be in the form of a brief letter style report or in the form of a detailed, illustrated report.
- Prepare and deliver professional presentations to on-going as well as new clients.
- Provide expert witness evidence in Court, which will involve being questioned in detail by a Barrister, who will be briefed by a technical subject expert.
- Manage healthy business relationships with current clients and build up new clientele.
What do you bring
- University degree in Materials or Metallurgical Engineering
- Eng. designation, licensed with APEGA
- 8 to 10 years of relevant experience (e.g., design, construction, maintenance, investigation, technical support or problem resolution)
Key Skills You Thrive On
- Excellent written and oral communication in English, including professional report writing
- Excellent synthesis, analysis and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Apps
- Hands-on knowledge of material properties, typical failure mechanisms and types of testing
- Concern for efficiency, attention to detail, excellent common sense, planning, organizing and prioritization
- Managing client relationships through the life of a file, and developing new clients
- Curiosity, good judgment, sense of initiative
- Have an aptitude and enthusiasm for problem solving
- Be self-motivated and able to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly, both verbally and in writing, to others less informed than yourself
- Driving, walking, climbing, lifting, pulling, pushing, working in cramped or confined space, sitting, and exposure to extreme weather conditions onsite
What we offer!
- Extended healthcare
- Virtual Healthcare
- Disability insurance
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Company events & social hours
- Employee assistance programs
- Vacation & paid time off
- And above all, a fun and dynamic work environment
- Eager to excel in all situations
- There for your colleagues and clients
- Someone who adapts easily to be more effective
- And do you stand out without being pretentious